HISTORICAL TIMELINE

 

1894
General Forestry first taught at UW in Department of Natural Sciences


1895
UW moves from downtown to present campus


1901
Forestry becomes department in UW College of Liberal Arts


1904
Professor Edmond Meany organizes special course in forestry for teachers


1907
School of Forestry established with first biennial budget of $650 and enrollment of 10


1908
Alpha chapter of national honorary forestry fraternity, Xi Sigma Pi, established at UW

Forest Club established to promote interest in forestry at UW and in Pacific Northwest

Master of Science in Forestry two-year program initiated


1909
First master's degree awarded to Alexander Grant Jackson


1910
School of Forestry becomes College of Forestry


1911
First logging engineering curriculum in the U.S. initiated


1912
Regents reject recommendation to merge Colleges of Forestry and Engineering

Visiting Committee formed

Forest Club organizes lecture series

Hugo Winkenwerder, Dean (1912-45)


1915
Henry Schmitz graduates with honors

Xi Sigma Pi nationalizes


1917
U.S. enters World War; timber and wood products play critical role


1921
Washington State Forestry Conference is organized as forum to shape state forest policy


1924
Estella Dodge receives first UW forestry degree granted to a woman

Charles Lathrop Pack acquires 160-acre demonstration forest for UW (now 4,380 acres)

Charles Lathrop Pack Endowed Prize, annual award for best essay written by forestry student for nontechnical audience, established


1925
Alfred H. Anderson Hall, a gift by Agnes H. Anderson in memory of her late husband, completed

enrollment: 176


1928
McNary-McSweeney Act sets up permanent plan of federally funded forest research


1929
Agnes Healy Anderson Trust Fund established to provide fellowships and student loans


1932
enrollment: 114


1933
Lee Memorial Forest , donated by heirs of Mr. and Mrs. O. H. Lee, accepted by UW Regents for use as field laboratory

Employment questionnaire shows just six unemployed graduates

PhD candidates first accepted in College

Dwight Jeffers, Acting Dean, while Dean Hugo Winkenwerder serves as Acting UW President (1933-35)

Works Progress Administration employs many forestry graduates (1933-41)


1934
Shelterbelt Program (Prairie State Forestry Project) creates demand for trained foresters


1935
UW and City of Seattle enter into agreement for establishment of Washington Park Arboretum

College rated one of eight Class A forestry schools in the nation by Chapman's Professional Forestry School Report


1936
First PhD in Forestry awarded to Alan J. Bailey for research on lignin and cellulose

enrollment: 480


1939
John Hanley appointed first full-time director of the Arboretum 1943 (circa)

Arboretum staff propagates and grows 30,000 plants for wartime camouflage efforts


1945
enrollment: 34

Gordon Marckworth, Dean (1945-64)

1962
First assembly to honor scholarship recipients and donors


1963
City of Seattle-University Arboretum Committee appointed

Hugo Winkenwerder Forest Sciences Laboratory completed


1964
James Bethel becomes first alumnus to serve as Dean (1964-81)


1967
enrollment: 323

College of Forestry becomes College of Forest Resources


1968
Washington Pulp and Paper Foundation founded at UW

Center for Quantitative Science in Fisheries, Forestry & Wildlife formed


1970
National Park Service establishes Cooperative Park Studies Unit in the College, first such University-based research unit

Regional Forest Nutrition Research Project initiated


1971
Bloedel Hall completed


1973
The Long Road Travelled, an account of forestry at the UW by Henry Schmitz, published posthumously


1975
enrollment: 883


1978
George S. Long Discretionary Fund Endowment established to honor the memory of long-time manager of Weyerhaeuser Timber Company


1980
enrollment: 696

Center for Urban Horticulture established


1981
David Thorud, Dean (1981-2000)


1982
Research funding totals over $2.3 million


1984
Joint continuing education calendar developed with Washington State University

Thomas Hinckley, Acting Dean, while David Thorud serves as Director of the UW's Office of Government Relations (1984-85)


1985
Stand Management Cooperative formed

Center for International Trade in Forest Products (CINTRAFOR) established by Washington State Legislature


1987
Elisabeth C. Miller Library Endowment established

Center for Streamside Studies established


1989
Pulp and Paper Equipment Endowment established by Boise Cascade Corporation

Washington Pulp and Paper Scholarship Fund established


1990
enrollment: 329


1991
Corkery Family Endowed Chair in Forest Resources established


1992
College receives $9.7 million, 5th-highest among UW units, at conclusion of 5-year Campaign for Washington


1993
Research funding totals over $8.9 million

Denman Endowment for Student Excellence established

David R.M. Scott Endowed Scholarship established


1994
Denman Professorship in Pulp and Paper Science established

Dale Cole, Acting Dean, while David Thorud serves as Acting UW Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs (1994-96)

Goodfellow-McVaye Endowment established to fund Center for Urban Horticulture's Marilou Goodfellow Grove and Dorothy McVaye Courtyard


1995
Poplar Molecular Genetics Research Cooperative formed

Olympic Natural Resources Center facilities dedicated in Forks, Washington

Wind River Canopy Crane construction completed near Carson , Washington


1996
Research funding totals over $7.8 million

The Arbor Day Fair, attracting 2,000 kindergarten through third grade children annually, initiated by the College and its alumni association


1997
Oregon State University joins UW and WSU in joint continuing education calendar

The Orin and Althea Soest Herbaceous Display Garden Fund established

enrollment: 501


1998
MCMC Resources Endowed Professorship in Forest Engineering established

Rachel A. Woods Professorship in Reforestation and Rachel A. Woods Graduate School Fund established


1999
Washington Park Arboretum Master Plan initiated

Urban Ecology IGERT funded by NSF

Advanced Technology Initiative funded by the legislature, creating the Precision Forestry Cooperative


2000
College's endowment level reaches $16 million, a fourfold increase in the number of endowments

Rural Technology Initiative launched with cooperator Washington State University

Kristiina Vogt, Dean (2000-01)

Denman Forestry Issues Series initiated

PNW Cooperative Ecosystems Studies Unit established at the College


2001
Merrill Hall destroyed in arson firebombing

B. Bruce Bare, Acting Dean (2001-02)


2002
B. Bruce Bare, Dean (2002-2009)


2003
Orin and Althea Soest Chair in Horticultural Science established

Peace Corps International Masters program approved

Research funding totals over $8.6 million


2004
Transformed undergraduate curricula (Environmental Science and Resource Management and Paper Science and Engineering) approved

Denman Professorship in Sustainable Resource Sciences established

Center for Sustainable Forestry at Pack Forest created

Campaign UW launched, College's campaign goal of $17.7 million announced

CFR UWAA Lecture Series initiated


2005
Northwest Environmental Forum created

A rebuilt Merrill Hall, the first "green" building on the UW's Seattle campus, dedicated

College begins faculty searches for nine new tenure track faculty

UW Botanic Gardens becomes umbrella organization for Center for Urban Horticulture and Washington Park Arboretum


2006
Distinguished Alumni Seminar series initiated

Denman Chair in Bioresource Science and Engineering established

MFR in Forest Management approved by UW Graduate School and granted SAF accreditation


2007
Faculty Scholarly Productivity Index rates College 2nd in nation for scholarly output

College reaches its $17.7 million fundraising goal for Campaign UW

Comprensive study report on Future of Washington's Forests released

Groundbreaking launches construction of the Washington Park Arboretum’s Pacific Connections Garden


2008
James Ridgeway Endowed Professor established


2009
College of Forest Resources becomes the School of Forest Resources (SFR), a founding unit within the University of Washington's new College of the Environment, with Tom Hinckley appointed Interim Director

B. Bruce Bare Endowed Professorship in Forest Resources established

Rural Technology Inititiative programs are incorporated into the Precision Forestry Cooperative


2010

Paper Science and Engineering Curriculum broadens focus to become Bioresource Science and Engineering

The Water Center closes

School's forest science programs rated among top three in U.S. by National Research Council

Morten J. Lauridsen Endowed Scholarship in Forest Resoures established

enrollment: 459


2011

School celebrates UN-declared International Year of Forests with lectures and events

Wind River Canopy Crane closes; field site becomes part of Wind River Field Station

Institute of Forest Resources at SFR is reaffirmed and updated by Washington State Legislature

SFR leads UW grant of $40 million from USDA to research biofuels industry in Pacific Northwest


2012

On January 1, the School of Forest Resources becomes the School of Environmental and Forest Sciences (SEFS)

Professor Thomas H. DeLuca is selected as Director of SEFS, following a nationwide search